Wednesday, March 3, 2010

friendship tests, car thoughts and memberships

I get all my best ideas while driving. This is unfortunate because unless I use one of those little portable recorders with the tiny cassette tapes, WHICH I happen to have - both recorder and tapes - (but feel a little pretentious when using them, like I think I'm some kind of reporter or something) - I rarely remember what brilliant thoughts I had once around the appropriate writing utensils. And even on the occasion, like now, when I do somewhat remember them, the genius manifesto has turned weird and disjointed. These are the occasions where I feel like I am prematurely developing dementia and will never succeed as any kind of writer, ever.

I vaguely remember thinking about movie critiques and how misguided they are. Like every movie is supposed to be some mind-bending and life-changing depiction of the depths of our very souls. What? Exactly. They are missing the primary purpose of movies - to entertain. The fact that a version of life is portrayed in film is just a side-effect of the only kind of life that is known by it's creators.

See my point here? That when I was in my car driving back to work after lunch, I had this awesome thought process enter my brain about movies and reviews and I even remember thinking, you are never going to remember this later. And though I proved myself wrong, the articulation and connection has gone far, far away. Now I am only rambling like a fool.

Oh, on the friendship test? I didn't pass it. and looks like I am going to join Gold's only because I am feeling unhappy and sluggish.

Lighten up indeed.

1 comment: