Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Friendly Casper?

Ch-ch-ch-ch-chaaaaanges turn and face the strange (or is it strain?) ....

Oh Bowie. How right you are. After months of whining how bored I am in this stage of my life, change happens. And I mean BIG, STRANGE change. In the next three months I could quite possibly quit my job, get engaged, cancel my apartment's lease, pack up and move to Casper, Wyoming. Is this called growing up?

Chad is onto the final stage of the application process with UPS and will flown to Seattle Monday for the panel interview. Scary! If all goes well, training begins at who knows where before plans are made to begin a new position as full-time HR management in Casper. Casper is 710 miles away. Casper has a population of roughly 55,000 people. Casper is both windier and colder than Boise. Casper could be a hell-hole.

But at the same time, Casper could be quaint, cozy and just the change I have been praying for. If I go that is. After reminding Chad that there is nothing for me in Casper but him, he finally seems to understand what I would be leaving behind and what this would mean for us. I am excited for him and know what a great opportunity this . It truly looks like an awesome job on paper - super benefits, a lot of money and a sweet first career for a 24 yr old. The issue now is what about me, what about us?

I won't go as his girlfriend. I can't. I love Boise too much to leave without a commitment. So, engagement has now been brought up numerous times in the last week and frankly we both have cold feet about it. I don't want to rush a proposal and Chad is not sure he wants to give one right now. However, Chad "doesn't want to go alone." If I move there it would be after he goes and settles in somewhat. A lease would need to be broken, furniture would need to be moved (ugh) and I would be leaving my sister, friends and family behind. I tear up at the thought of this but even with all these "cons," I still feel this may be good for me, him and us. If nothing else, a new experience. I would not even need to work for a bit leaving me time to focus on what I want to do. I actually love that idea. Right now.

So far, I have found three websites for Casper. http://www.casperwy.gov/ , http://www.casperwyoming.org/ , http://www.casperwyoming.info/ . Sure is outdoorsy and there is even a Casper Mountain. We will be only 3 hours from Cheyenne and 4 from Denver.

Trying to stay positive amongst all this change can be difficult but I am trying to take it one decision at a time instead of focusing on all the 'what ifs' and 'hows?'

Drink more water. Hug more Phoebe. Shop cowboy boots.

1 comment:

  1. AH! How did it go so fast?! This is freaking me out. You can't really leave me here. That will be the last one left to go. I'm getting sad.

    Hyperventilating.

    ReplyDelete